NILU contributes to the development of sustainable cities with our knowledge of how different sources contribute to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
We carry out measurements and monitoring and offer innovative data services and advice to municipalities and businesses, usable in design of abating measures and regulations to achieve better air quality in urban development.
NILU’s services for sustainable cities
- Smart sensors for measuring air quality, both indoors and outdoors
- Digitized solutions and information about air quality
- Knowledge of sources and emissions in urban areas
- Action assessments and planning tools for new environmental solutions
- Survey of air quality in urban areas
- Involving and engaging people in urban planning (citizen science)
- Data fusion, data assimilation and machine intelligence
Good air quality in Norwegian cities is important for people’s health and well-being. Increased urbanization can lead to more pollution in our cities, and more knowledge is needed on how to ensure sustainable urban development and good air quality.
The iFLINK project will make it easier to monitor air quality in many more places at a lower cost. The scientists involved in the project will develop and use new calibration and visualization methods based on machine learning and data fusion technology, to correct and improve the data quality from the cheaper sensors. The project is carried out in collaboration with 5 Norwegian municipalities.